Monday, March 8, 2010

cannolis in comfort of home

homemade cannolis (#58)

I love cannolis, I mean seriously, what's not to love? Seeing this recipe for homemade cannolis on RecipeGirl made my mouth water. But making dough, frying dough, and rolling dough (who has cannoli tubes just lying about the place?) my eyes were glazing over from time and effort. At that point it seems easier and cheaper to drive over to the Italian bakery.

Insert a magnificent suggestion from my old Italian grandfather - ice cream sugar cones.  Get a package of these for $2, the rest of the ingredients for cannoli filling, some chocolate chips and bob's your uncle.

Cannoli Filling
(From RecipeGirl)


¾ cup whole milk ricotta cheese (drained overnight w/ cheesecloth & squeezed dry)
¾ cup mascarpone cheese
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla or Grand Marnier
½ tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt



Mix filling ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (at least a couple of hours). Scoop into sugar cones. Add chocolate chips on top.

(I definitely did not drain the ricotta overnight. Also my total refrigeration time on the filling was maybe an hour. Everything was still tasty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment